Monday 6 October 2008

Cult Flicks and Trash Pics



In the mid 90s I picked up some terrific film books that proved to be formative and guiding. Reaffirming my beliefs and guiding me to pastures new these books opened up a pre web world of wonder. Amongst these were two awesome titles by Videohound - “Cult Flicks and Trash Pics” and “Idiot’s Delight: 100 dumbest movies of all time”. I can say with some confidence that I have enjoyed some really, really dumb movies of late. When I list Shoot Em Up, Resident Evil 3, Smokin’ Aces, some Segal etc etc. you could only but agree. I do lose some points as I haven’t watch a Jason Streatham film for several months now. Imagine my surprise when I stumbled across a gem of stupidity that would fit nicely in both Videohound’s tombs on the latest release shelf at Woolies. Jack Brook’s Monster Slayer is like a Troma film with a budget that stretches to hiring Robert Englund. How good is it that people are still making films like this?!